- Mount St. Mary Art Show, Newburgh, New York in the spring of 1999.
- The Fort Mason Center in San Francisco at the Artist's Tools of the Trade Expo with CWA November 3,4 and 5, 2000.
- CWA Member Show at the State Capital. 1400 Tenth Street Sacramento, CA. December, 2000.
- The Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton, CA on April 14, 15, and 16, 2000 at the Harvest Festival with CWA.
- The One Market Plaza Show in San Francisco with CWA. 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004.
- The San Francisco Flower and Garden Show at the Cow Palace with CWA. March 23, 24 and 25, 2001 and 2002.
- The Sunset Magazine Spring Celebration in Menlo Park, CA with CWA. May 2002, 2003 and 2004.
- "Pink Rose" and "Victoria's Roses" by Samantha McNally were included in The Frank Bette Center for the Arts Gallery show during the month of May, 2004 at 1601 Paru Street at Lincoln Ave. Alameda, California.
- Gallery Concord in Concord, CA, 2004 to 2013.
- “Golden Gate Bridge" and "Dew Drop Rose" were included in the CWA show at the John Muir Medical Center, 2005 in Walnut Creek, CA.
- "Presidio" was included in the 2010 CWA Bay Model Show in Sausalito, CA.
- November 2010 at the CWA show in the DVC Library.
- John Muir Medical Center art show, 2011 in Walnut Creek, CA with the CWA show.
- CWA Alameda Free Library Show in Alameda, CA
- The Brown Couch Cafe in Oakland, CA, 340 14th Street, Oakland, CA 94612. For the month of October, 2011 eleven of Samantha's paintings hung on the walls of this cafe. "Sunlit Rose" was sold during this exhibit.
- East Bay Artist Guild Window Exhibitions in Pleasant Hill, CA, 2011.
- August 10 through September 29, 2012 Samantha had 4 Plein Air paintings painted during the Frank Bette Plein Air paintout exhibited in the Frank Bette Gallery in Alameda, CA.
- Arts Benicia had a show in March through September 2012 featuring Benicia "Endangered Vistas" at the City Council Chambers and "Benicia State Capital" was included.
- Samantha exhibited 5 paintings in the Ethan Allen showroom in Fairfield, California from August 10 to September 4, 2012, for a Safe Quest charity event.
- The Moraga Art Gallery included Samantha as their guest artist from October 2012 to January 2013.
- Vacaville Art League Gallery 2012 and 2013.
- Artist Getaway Art Show at the Hovey Winery in Murphys, CA on June 5, 2013.
- Artist Getaway Art Show in Occidental, CA in October 2013.
- Artist Getaway Art Show at the Hovey Winery in Murphys, CA in June 2104.
- aRt Cottage Art Show during the month of July 2014 and 2015.
- Valley Art Gallery 2013 to present.
- Benicia Plein Air Gallery 2014 to present.
- Marin County Fair, June 30 to July 4, 2016 and 2017.
- The Delta Gallery CWA show, April 2017.
Samantha McNally is a watercolor artist in the San Francisco Bay Area. She paints in the studio and outdoors 'en pleinair'. In addition to painting Samantha offers her services making websites for other artists and organizes art vacations! Check www.artistgetaway.com for upcoming painting vacations, organized by Sam, that you may want to participate in!
Send an email if you have any questions
Email Samantha McNally.
About Samantha McNally
"I started painting in oils in college, then tried out acrylics for a while. I participated in art shows where most of the people painted in watercolors and the effects were so beautiful I had to try it. I took a few classes in the ‘90s and have been painting in watercolor ever since.
My subjects range from portraits of people and animals to pleinair landscapes and house portraits. I love painting outdoors en pleinair because you can really get a feel for the subject in person rather than from a photograph. I sometimes use photographs to construct the composition and then paint from life when possible. I belong to several pleinair groups in the Bay Area and join them whenever I can to paint on location.
The beauty of the Bay Area inspires me to paint en pleinair. I paint because it’s a challenge that is very satisfying when practiced. If you keep at it you can clearly see improvement. I paint with groups of artists because it’s very helpful to get critiques and helpful suggestions for our paintings. Art has always been a part of my life and I intend to keep painting, practicing and enjoying it."
Samantha McNally studied Art at Ramapo College in Mahwah, NJ, Ridgewood School of Art in Ridgewood, NJ and The School of Visual Arts in NYC. Award-winning artist Samantha McNally is a member of The California Watercolor Association (CWA). In addition to the Benicia Plein Air Gallery, her paintings hang in the Valley Art Gallery in Walnut Creek, CA.
Samantha McNally served as the President of CWA from 2007 through 2010 and as Communications Director in 2011. Samantha is currently the CWA Plein Air Chairperson. CWA’s members meet once a month at locations around the Bay Area to paint outdoors. Samantha has also been painting with the East Bay Plein Air Painters since 2006, the Benicia Plein Air Painters for several years and also the North Bay Plein Air Painters. In 2013 Artist Getaway was founded for planning painting vacations. Samantha started a meetup group for the East Bay Plein Air Painters in 2017.
Samantha was accepted into the 2012 Frank Bette, Alameda Plein Air, 2016 Capitola Plein Air and 2017 Carmel Plein Air competitions.
In 2012 Samantha founded Artist Getaway, a vacation for Plein Air painting for any level of experience and in any medium, oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, etc. Plein Air (painting in the open air) became famous in France in the 19th century. Some of the hotels we stay in have meeting rooms where we can paint indoors as well in the open air. We can paint on our own in the area or paint as a group in the scenic locations where we stay. Samantha finds good accessible places to paint as a group on each day of an Artist Getaway. At the end of each day the artists share their paintings and give eachother helpful comments.
- The Grumbacher gold medal and special award ribbon in 1999 for "Dogwood" at the Mount St. Mary Art Show in Newburgh, NY.
- In 2001 Samantha was awarded Honorable mention for “Flowers”
- In 2004, third place for “Two Roses” in the CWA Blackhawk Gallery.
- In 2006 “Victoria’s Roses" and “Sea VI” won third place ribbons at the CWA Gallery.
- In 2008, "Columbine" won an Honorable Mention at Gallery Concord.
- In 2010 “Sea Lions” by Samantha McNally was accepted into the CWA National exhibition. This painting won the People’s Choice Award, Children’s vote.
- Samantha won Honorable Mention in November 2010 for “Alphabet Storm” at the CWA show in the DVC Library.
- In October 2011 “Basking in the Sun” won Honorable Mention in the Alameda Free Library show in Alameda, CA.
- The Frank Bette Center in Alameda chose "Meyers House" and "Tucker Ice Cream" painted during the Plein Air Competition in August 2012 for their 2013 calendar. The Meyers House Museum chose Samantha's painting "Meyers House" for the VIP tour pass.
- In December 2012 "Big Cat Rescue Tiger" won the People's Choice Award at the Vacaville Art Gallery.
- Samantha won 4th place on June 30, 2016 in the Marin County Fair Plein Air Competition "Marin County Fair".
- "Stanislaus Rapids" won an honorable mention at the California Watercolor Association show at the Delta Gallery, April 2017.
- "The Depot" was chosen to represent Benicia Open Studios, May 6 and 7, 2017, and printed on the banners, brochures and tote bags for the event.
- Samantha won the Merit Award on June 30, 2017 at the Marin County Fair Plein Air Competition
This site designed by Samantha McNally
© copyright Samantha McNally. All rights reserved. No image may be duplicated in any way without written permission by the artist.
The artist retains all rights at all times unless the sale includes a complete buyout clause.